Path to Partner Visas in Australia

Path to Partner Visas in Australia

If you’re contemplating bringing your spouse to Australia through a Path to Partner visas in Australia, Migration Guru is here to guide you through the intricacies of the process. In this article, we’ll delve into the different Partner visa options, the prerequisites you need to meet, and how to go about applying.

Types of Partner Visas

Under the Partner visa program, there are distinct pathways available. It’s important to understand the difference between lodging your application onshore or offshore. Here are the primary Partner visa options: Path to Partner Visas in Australia - Happy Couple

Prospective Marriage SC300 Visa

This visa is for applicants intending to get married in Australia. Once granted, you have nine months to tie the knot. With the SC300 visa, you can make multiple entries, study, work, and submit a Partner visa application after marriage.

Partner Visa SC 309 – Offshore – Temporary

This is an offshore Partner visa application with a two-stage process for Permanent Residency. Upon receiving the first stage of the SC309 visa, you can enter Australia and live with your partner. You’re also eligible to work, study, and enroll in Medicare. The second stage involves applying for a Permanent SC 100 visa. To be eligible, you must be in a genuine relationship with an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Eligible New Zealand Citizen.

Partner Visa SC 820 – Onshore – Temporary

This onshore Partner visa application also follows a two-stage process for Permanent Residency. You can work, study, and enroll in Medicare with the SC 820 visa. Like the SC 309, you can apply for a Permanent SC 801 visa in the second stage, but the application is made from within Australia. Eligibility requires a genuine relationship with an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Eligible New Zealand Citizen.

Subsequent Entrant or Dependent Visas – Alternative Path to Partner Visas in Australia

Additionally, there are other common partner visas, often referred to as subsequent entrant or dependent visas, for spouses of individuals holding the following visas:

– 485 Temporary Graduate visa
– Student visa Subclass 500
– 408 visa
– 482 Temporary Skills Shortage Employer Sponsored visa
– 491 Skilled Regional visa
– 494 Skilled Regional Employer Sponsored visa

The Four Pillars of a Relationship – Partner Visa

Regardless of the Partner visa type or dependent visa, meeting the following four pillars of a relationship is crucial:

1. Finances: Provide evidence of financial interdependence, including joint mortgage or lease documents, joint loan documents for significant assets, joint bank account statements, and shared household bills.

2. Your Household: Demonstrate that you share domestic responsibilities and arrangements. This may involve statements about housework distribution, jointly managed household bills, shared mail or emails, documents indicating joint child responsibility, and proof of your living situation.

3. Social Matters: Present evidence that others are aware of your relationship. This might include joint invitations, proof of common friends, documentation of government or commercial body notifications regarding your relationship, evidence of engaging in shared activities, and proof of traveling together.

4. Commitment: Showcase your commitment to a lasting relationship. Evidence should illustrate your knowledge of each other’s personal details, combined affairs, maintaining contact when apart, and clarifying that you are not related by family.

Partner visa applications can be complex and lengthy. Document requirements vary based on individual circumstances. At Migration Guru, we’ll assess your specific situation and recommend the best available option. Don’t hesitate to book a consultation with one of our expert and experenced lawyers to start your journey towards reuniting with your loved one in Australia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Click one of our representatives below to chat on WhatsApp or send us an email to

× How Can We Help You